This video provides tips on avoiding a variety of podcast problems that could result from violating confidentiality agreements, exposing trade secrets, making secret (or hidden) recordings, and making telephone recordings in states requiring mutual consent. It also explains the legal principles of invasion of privacy and celebrity endorsements.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Other ways lawsuits get triggered.…Besides infringement and defamation,…podcasters can run into problems with other legal claims.…Here are some suggestions.…Don't violate secrecy agreements.…You may get in trouble for podcasting trade secrets,…confidential business information,…especially if you do so in violation of a non-disclosure…agreement or an obligation to maintain secrecy.…For example, you learned about a new iPad…because you are an Apple employee,…or you bribe someone who works at an iPad factory.…
However, there are two situations when you are…free to use trade secret information.…When the trade secret owner doesn't treat…the information with secrecy, for example…accidentally posts it on the internet,…or if you legitimately obtain the device…or process and then reverse-engineer the secret.…For example you analyze and disclose…the secret formula for Coca-Cola.…Avoid secret recordings.…Hiding a camera or microphone and recording…private activity is considered an intrusion in privacy.…
Ditto for trespassing on private property…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney (or other instructor) and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Choosing the right name for your podcast
- Using music and interviews in a podcast
- Understanding government regulations
- Responding to complaints
- Generating podcast income
- Registering podcast trademarks and copyrights