This video provides a few suggestions about copyright and fair use, and explains when permission should be sought and why some podcasters may have less to worry about copyright than others. It also provides background on Creative Common licenses and the public domain. Finally, it explains the risks of relying on a fair use defense.
- [Voiceover] Copyright and Fair Use.…In this video, I provide a few suggestions…about copyright and fair use.…I cover copyright registration in another video.…One thing you should keep in mind…about copyright infringement…is that if you fly under the radar,…you probably won't get hassled.…If you step on someone's copyright,…it's a private matter,…that is, the government rarely comes after you…for infringement.…So, practically, if a copyright owner…doesn't know of your unauthorized use…or doesn't consider you a worthy financial target,…you may not have much to worry about.…
I mentioned in the video on using music…that many podcasters use podsafe materials,…some of which is available under Creative Commons,…or CC license.…A CC license is when the owner claims copyright ownership…but lets the public reproduce the material…under certain conditions.…For example, you may need to include a credit.…To get an idea of what's available under CC license,…go to search.creativecommons.org.…Also, as mentioned in the music video,…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney (or other instructor) and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Choosing the right name for your podcast
- Using music and interviews in a podcast
- Understanding government regulations
- Responding to complaints
- Generating podcast income
- Registering podcast trademarks and copyrights