What's the right name for your podcast? Attorney Richard Stim explains how your title should conform to Apple iTunes rules, and should also be short, easy to pronounce, and informative. Hopefully it should also be capable of serving as a trademark that can be registered at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. A podcast trademark is one that is immediately distinctive or is popular with fans.
- [Voiceover] Choosing the right name.…iTunes accounts for over 80% of podcast downloads,…and for that reason, when choosing a podcast name,…you should start by reviewing…the Apple iTunes titling rules.…Apple will reject a podcast feed…if the podcast title references illegal drugs,…profanity or violence, or if their title…can be construed as racist, misogynist, or homophobic,…or incorporates a third-party trademark,…or Apple trademarks.…
Apple's enforcement of its rules may…sometimes seem inconsistent.…After all, isn't WTF with Marc Maron…a reference to profanity?…And in some cases, Apple's enforcement…may go further than needed.…For example, in 2014, lawyers from Major League Baseball…asked Apple to remove the cover art…for several podcasts that used the MLB logo.…Even though the MLB only requested removal…of the cover art, Apple disabled…all of the podcast series, and reinstated…them only after the artwork was modified.…
You may wonder why Apple can set these standards…for your title.…Doesn't that interfere with freedom of speech?…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney (or other instructor) and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Choosing the right name for your podcast
- Using music and interviews in a podcast
- Understanding government regulations
- Responding to complaints
- Generating podcast income
- Registering podcast trademarks and copyrights