Join George Papazian for an in-depth discussion in this video What is a plugin?, part of Moodle Administration Essential Training.
- We're gonna talk about plugins in this chapter.…Any CMS worth its salt these days has plugins,…and Moodle is no exception.…I'm in the root folder of our Moodle installation,…in the htdocs folder,…and then further down in the gols folder.…We have a series of files and folders here.…A plugin is essentially a group of files,…or even just one file,…that can extend the capabilities…of a content management system like Moodle.…An easy example to demonstrate this…is that Moodle doesn't ship…with a good attendance recording feature,…so there's an Attendance module plugin…that gives Moodle that capability.…
Once installed, the Attendance module plugin…enables you to record attendance for every class,…with options for Present, Absent,…Late, or Excused.…It also lets you add comments…beside each student's attendance,…and then automatically calculates attendance marks…into the overall grade.…I use the term Module,…and we've already discussed Themes.…But when it comes down to it,…these are all just types of plugins.…The way the procedure generally works is,…
- Configuring your local server with XAMPP or LAMP
- Installing Moodle
- Connecting to the database
- Installing cron and automating cron jobs
- Creating views
- Changing primary settings
- Adding and managing users and cohorts
- Setting roles and permissions
- Creating and managing courses
- Applying themes
- Working with plugins
- Keeping your Moodle site secure
Skill Level Beginner
100 Courses and Counting: David Rivers on Elearningwith David Rivers8m 22s Appropriate for all
Learning Management System (LMS) Fundamentalswith Aaron Quigley41m 44s Appropriate for all
Captivate 8 Advanced Techniqueswith Pooja Jaisingh4h 18m Intermediate
1. Getting to Know Moodle
2. Setting Up Your Server
3. Installing Moodle
4. The Moodle Dashboard
5. Working with Users
6. Setting Permissions
7. Managing Courses
8. Setting Up a Grading System
9. Customizing the Look of Moodle
10. Working with Plugins
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.