Join Kevin Kelly for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up class discussions with forums, part of Moodle 2.8 Essential Training.
- The Forum tool is one of the most popular activities…for instructors using Moodle.…You can use forums to continue a fantastic…classroom discussion, facilitate an entirely…new discussion online, and much more.…Let's look at how to set up a forum.…First, we'll turn editing on with the button…in the top, right corner.…Next, we'll scroll to an appropriate section…and click the Add an Activity or Resource link.…
After that, I'll select Forum in the list of activities,…and add the bottom of the window.…On the Adding a new Forum page,…we have a number of options to select.…In the Forum name field, I'll enter a short title.…In the Description field, enter the instructions,…which should include the discussion prompt…and any details about the activity.…The Description field may not seem like a big deal,…but I'm going to share one of the best tricks…I've ever learned for Forums.…
It came from Gayle Weinstein,…teaching English as a second or other language…instructor who attended a faculty workshop…about Moodle at San Francisco State University.…
- Navigating a Moodle course
- Setting up learning outcomes
- Adding, moving, editing, and deleting blocks
- Uploading files for students to download
- Adding links and RSS feeds
- Adding students and teaching assistants
- Creating groups
- Communicating with announcements, polls, emails, and chat
- Facilitating discussions, peer review, and team projects
- Creating and grading quizzes and assignments
- Working with the Moodle gradebook
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Ready to Teach with Moodle
2. Preparing Your Course in Moodle
3. Managing Course Resources in Moodle
4. Managing Course Participants in Moodle
5. Communicating with Students in Moodle
6. Facilitating Activities in Moodle
7. Assessing Learning in Moodle
8. Course Administration in Moodle
Setting up the gradebook5m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.