Educators face a uniquely difficult task of managing sites where the bulk of the HTML and CSS is completely out of your control. In this video, author Chris Mattia shows you how to use the web developer tools to hack the look of your LMS page, and add targeted enhancements. Don't worry about writing the code, the web developer tools will do that for you. You've gotta see this trick.
- [Instructor] As an educator,…you are inheriting a uniquely difficult challenge…when it comes to styling your content with CSS.…Oftentimes, you do not have full control…over the site that your content is being displayed on.…In most LMS', you're lucky if your institution…has unlocked the tools for you…to apply your own course theme…to help you differentiate your course…from all the other courses at your institution.…Furthermore, the default settings in most LMS'…prevent the use of external style sheets…or the use of the style tag from most users…including faculty and students.…
This means that making large-scale changes via CSS…is simply not possible for many of us.…However, most of the LMS' I have encountered…do allow you to add in-line styles.…Therefore, in this movie,…we're not going to approach adding custom styles to an LMS…from the perspective of trying to change…the overall look of your entire site.…That's simply not possible on those sites,…but I do want to show you how to make targeted overrides…to specific content with CSS.…
- Coding a site, a page, or parts
- Managing digital assets
- Formatting headings and paragraphs
- Creating links to pages
- Linking to a PDF or a Google Doc
- Inserting your own images into an LMS
- Embedding YouTube, Vimeo, and SoundCloud media
- Making pages responsive for mobile devices
- Working with CSS using web developer tools
- Overriding existing CSS
- Setting up your own domain
- Using FTP
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress for Education: Multisitewith Chris Mattia1h 55m Intermediate
Measuring Learning Effectivenesswith Jeff Toister47m 4s Beginner
1. Web Basics
2. Semantically Formatting Text
3. Leveraging Links
4. Integrating Images
5. Embedding Resources
6. Adding Style with CSS
7. Setting Up Web Infrastructure
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.