Join Kevin Kelly for an in-depth discussion in this video Making announcements with the news forum, part of Moodle 2.8 Essential Training.
- In Chapter One, I mentioned that…for most Moodle installations,…every new course shell is created empty,…except for one special activity,…the News forum.…I'll scroll down and show you.…We'll look at setting up different forums…for class discussions and more in Chapter Six,…for now we'll focus on the News forum,…which comes with settings that make it perfect…for class announcements.…First, the News forum is tied to the Latest News block,…I'll scroll up and see.…Students see your latest announcements…in a prominent location.…Also, every student is automatically subscribed…to the News forum,…so every message you write gets sent to them by email.…
There are two ways to create an announcement…in the News forum,…you can click the Add a new topic link…in the Latest News block,…or you click the News forum link…and click the Add a new topic button.…I'll go straight from the block.…First, type a subject line that will…inspire students to read it.…Since most students using Moodle…have more than one teacher,…I start the subject for every announcement…
- Navigating a Moodle course
- Setting up learning outcomes
- Adding, moving, editing, and deleting blocks
- Uploading files for students to download
- Adding links and RSS feeds
- Adding students and teaching assistants
- Creating groups
- Communicating with announcements, polls, emails, and chat
- Facilitating discussions, peer review, and team projects
- Creating and grading quizzes and assignments
- Working with the Moodle gradebook
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Ready to Teach with Moodle
2. Preparing Your Course in Moodle
3. Managing Course Resources in Moodle
4. Managing Course Participants in Moodle
5. Communicating with Students in Moodle
6. Facilitating Activities in Moodle
7. Assessing Learning in Moodle
8. Course Administration in Moodle
Setting up the gradebook5m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.