With the new Boost theme in Moodle, blocks are not as important as they have been in the past. You can still utilize blocks to create your course, but they will not be visible on the Moodle Mobile version of your course. In this video, learn how to add blocks to your Moodle course.
- [Instructor] If you've used Moodle in the past, you're likely familiar with blocks. Blocks are ways that you can customize your page by adding elements, such as a calendar, upcoming events and more. One issue with blocks in the current format of Moodle is that they will not appear in the mobile version of your Moodle course. This is being used by more and more students and it's something you need to consider. When Moodle upgraded to version 3.2, they added the new Boost theme which doesn't rely as heavily on blocks. With that being said, you can still use them. So in this video, let's take a quick look at how you can add a block to your course page. First, I need to make sure that editing is turned on and currently it is. And next, I can go over here to the left-hand menu. Now remember in the Boost theme that you do have the ability to click on this three lines icon and have that menu open up or close. When it's open, I can scroll to the bottom and click on Add a block. From here, I'll add a block such as calendar and it now adds this calendar block to my page. In this case, it's not a block that I would want on here because with the new Boost theme, over on the left if I scroll down, you'll notice that I have access to my calendar from right here, so I don't need to put it on this page. Now if you want to use blocks, that's fine. In this case I'm actually going to click on here and delete the calendar block. I'll confirm that I want to delete it and now it goes back to our old page. If you decide that you still want to use blocks, remember that your blocks will not appear on the mobile version of your course.
- Setting up an instructor profile
- Creating a course
- Adjusting course settings
- Posting announcements
- Adding resources and activities
- Managing files and URLs
- Adding assignments
- Creating a quiz
- Enrolling students in a course
- Chatting and sending messages
- Setting up a gradebook
- Viewing gradebook reports