Join Matt Hester for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know before watching this course, part of Deploy Windows 10 with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2013.
- Before we get started with this course, I want to cover some things that you should know before actually watching this course, and go over some of the key requirements in technology you need to know about before you can actually take your first step down the deployment path. So what are some of the key concepts that you should know for this course? First off, I want you to make sure that you understand some of the basic networking concepts, how to do IP addressing, what DHCP and DNS can provide for your organization, as well as just how to connect those types of things, and making sure that you know and understand PXE Boot process and how to enable that in the BIOS. Just some basic things that you're going to have to know about networking.
Speaking of PXE Boot, not all systems can PXE Boot by default, so make sure you understand how to enable that on your devices or even your virtual systems as well. For example, in Hyper-V, you actually have to add the legacy driver if you're using a Generation 1 system to boot from, or if you're using a Generation 2 it's already built in, but make sure you understand some of those key concepts of how PXE Boot works off of the network. As well as Active Directory, one of the key things that we have to secure our environments, especially in deployment is understanding how Active Directory comes to play, but also how the networking components like DHCP have to be authorized inside of Active Directory before they can actually start to work and function, so having some of these key core tenets built up around the Active Directory is really going to provide you a leg up when you start watching this course.
And then lastly, just general Windows Server fundamentals, knowing how to install roles or services, so how to install Active Directory, how to install DNS, or how to add additional roles and features, how to configure the system, how to make sure you install files with administrative rights, as we go through the course, you're going to see some of those things come to bear.
- Upgrading vs. wiping and reloading
- ZTI and LTI deployment options
- Upgrading to Windows 10
- Working with Windows deployment tools
- Installing Windows with MDT
- Deploying a Windows 10 image