Learn to scan a person and turn the scan into a "3D selfie" with a 3D printer or with online services like Shapeways.
- View Offline
- Hi, I'm Kacie Hultgren, and welcome to this project course, 3D scanning a person. Low cost sensors have brought 3D scanning into the hands of consumers. The process is quick and easy, and it's a great way to scan people. Whether you want to capture your family in 3D at a reunion, make a custom cake topper for a wedding, or turn yourself into an action figure, 3D scanning makes quick work of translating people into 3D. In this course I'll show you a workflow for using an inexpensive, infrared sensor to create 3D scans with the software Skanect.
Then we'll refine the mesh using a free program called Meshmixer. Finally, we'll go through the process of creating a 3D printed replica using a desktop 3D printer or a commercial 3D printing service like Shapeways. This is a really fun project, and I can't wait to show you how it's done. Let's get started.
- Setting up 3D sensors
- 3D scanning a bust or a person
- Exporting a scan
- Smoothing and filling the mesh
- Automatically repairing the scan with Meshmixer
- Printing your scan with a MakerBot printer
- Optimizing a scan
- Ordering a 3D print with Shapeways