Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with luma keys, part of Editing with Composites and Effects in Avid Media Composer.
While the SpectraMatte effect is the most effective chroma keyer, sometimes a…luma keyer is a better option.…You use a luma key if the area that you want to key out is based on luminance values.…That is, if you can key out either bright or dark areas.…Further, you can work with this key in 3D just like SpectraMatte. Let's take a look.…Now there are two ways that you can access the 3D luma keyer.…One way is to put on the 3D Warp and then open up the Effect Editor,…and come down to Foreground and switch your key, to Luma Key.…
And now we're working in the Luma Keyer, but we also have 3D space.…And I'm just going to remove that. I want to show you the other way.…If you go to Key, you can see Luma Key, and apply that.…And right now we're not in 3D, but if you promote it to 3D, we end up in the same place.…So two ways to do the same thing, but let's take a look at what we have down…here in the Foreground.…You want to sample the background color just like we did in SpectraMatte.…
So I'm going to disable Foreground and then I'm going to come in to Color,…
- Introducing compositing
- Pulling chroma keys with SpectraMatte
- Animating a chroma key
- Working with luma keys using the 3D Luma Keyer
- Masking out part of an image with the AniMatte effect
- Using AniMatte effects as transitions
- Using alpha channels in keys
- Creating a title sequence using a layered Photoshop file
- Changing the color or characteristics of an area inside the video frame using the Paint effect
- Writing words with the Brush tool
- Cloning and tracking objects
- Removing scratches and artifacts
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction to Compositing and Intraframe Effects
Understanding compositing3m 53s
2. Working with SpectraMatte and Other Chroma Keyers
3. Using the AniMatte Effect
4. Using Alpha Channels and Matte Keys
5. Using the Paint Effect
6. Putting It All Together
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.