Guides video editors through the process of crafting various types of scenes using narrative editing and storytelling techniques in Avid Media Composer.
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Ashley Kennedy and welcome to Narrative Scene Editing with Avid Media Composer. In this project based course, we'll be exploring the creative art of scene construction in editing three separate scenes within a narrative film. Before diving into editing, we'll become acquainted with the set up and organization of our project and then we'll learn the basics behind some important traditional editing conventions. Then we'll explore the full end-to-end workflow for constructing a traditional dramatic dialog scene starting with a digital script and going through the rough cut and refining phases.
Next, we'll take a look at how to cut a creative montage to show the passage of time, combination of ideas, and the projection of emotion. We'll then combine both traditional and creative editing techniques to edit a flashback scene, being sure to give it a nice stylistic flair. Finally, we'll explore the concepts behind larger issues of scene flow and story arc, as well as how to conduct a feedback sessions, make revisions, and bring together the final elements in the process of finishing the film.
Now let's get started with Narrative Scene Editing with Avid Media Composer.
- Evaluating the goals of the project
- Working with digital scripts
- Understanding coverage, shot composition, and camera movement
- Editing dialogue
- Adding cutaways and reaction shots
- Building a montage scene
- Editing a flashback
- Laying in off-camera audio
- Adding effects
- Color-grading a scene
- Receiving feedback and refining the rough cut