Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Focusing on the picture lock workflow, part of Documentary Editing with Avid Media Composer.
- View Offline
As some editors say, the film is mine until the fine cut. …Reaching the fine cut means the film has entered a stage of intense collaboration. …It is during this period that an editor must ensure that the film's story, direction, and …style are in sync with the film's vision. …This begins with a screening of the rough cut and proceeds through several more versions …of cuts until picture lock. …So, after you've completed the rough cut, you should screen it as much as possible and …take very detailed notes on people's feedback, both good and bad.…
You should not only screen it for a director and other stakeholders, but, also to general …audiences that are not invested in the success of the film. …Screening the film to people who are not too close to it can be extremely valuable in telling …you what works and what doesn't. …Now first, the editor usually works closely with the director to tweak, reorder, cut, and …add scenes, combing through every shot and every sequence and discussing every element …
This course is part of a series that looks at Documentary Editing from the point of view of 3 different editors in 3 different editing applications. For more insight on editing documentary projects, take a look at Documentary Editing with Premiere Pro and Documentary Editing with Final Cut Pro X.
- Interpreting a creative brief
- Exploring the documentary postproduction process
- Organizing footage and using searching techniques
- Setting up and using digital transcripts
- Building sequences and scenes to form the rough cut
- Adding effects to repair and enhance footage
- Fine-tuning the sequence to reach picture lock
- Receiving feedback
- Finishing the film with titles, color correction, and professional audio