Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with eyelids, using fan joints, part of Rigging a Face in Maya.
…Another great option for rigging eyelids for characters with…large, bulbous eyes is to create a fan joint setup.…Fan joints allow the technical director…to establish a controlled deformation that produces…smooth, arching profiles, which can easily be…refined using standard skin weight painting techniques.…So I have enlarged the eyes on our character quite…a bit here to make them really, really round and…big and I've setup a couple target blend shapes, and…these are the targets, the left blink and the right blink.…
And when I activate the targets, you'll see that the…right blink really just cuts way, way through the eye.…Now I actually did create an intermediate blend shape…as I've talked about before, an in-between blend shape.…But even with an in-between blend shape, if you zoom in,…you can see that the path that is followed is rather linear.…As we middle mouse drag, you see that it sort…of hits that in-between shape and kind of abruptly shifts direction.…So you have kind of a very linear transition.…Maybe it's not something that's so major with certain performances, but…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.