Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with eyelids, using in-between blend shapes, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…The linear nature of blend shape transitions can be…limiting, when working on certain regions of a facial rig.…For example, eye lids are often…problematic, especially for characters with larger eyes.…But Maya's in between blend shape option can…be a great solution for blend shape transitions.…Which require a carefully controlled path.…So I've created a left blink morph target for this character, and…you can see that it's sculpted so that it looks reasonably natural.…The eye is not cutting through the lid, or anything like that.…
And I've connected this target to the face.…And when I activate the target you can see that the blink works pretty well, but…in the midpoint of the blink the eyelid…actually cuts through the eyeball just a bit.…So, in order to correct this, I'm going to create an in-between…blend shape and plug it into this transition for a more natural deformation.…I'll select the Face Mesh and go to Edit > Duplicate.…And then I want to move it off to the side, since…this mesh has already been bound, I'm going to unlock the channels.…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.