Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Work with edge loops, part of Maya 2018 Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Now, when we model in Maya,…there are many times when we'll need to add…more detail to a model,…and probably the easiest way to do this…is by using edge loops.…Now, if we take a look at this model, here,…in fact, I'm going to go ahead…and turn off reference here so we can see this.…You'll see that the detail in this model forms loops,…so we can see this a little bit better…if we go into wire frame mode, here.…So, if I right-click here and go edge,…you'll see that a lot of this detail…is in what are called edge loops,…and basically they're just loops of edges…that define the profile at a certain point.…
Now, I'm going to go ahead and hit six…to get back into shaded mode,…and let's turn on our reference.…Now, what we can do is add in additional edge loops…to add in more detail.…So, let's go into our front view here,…and you'll see here that we've got a place…where we probably need more detail.…So we need to kind of bring this out a little bit…to get a little bit more curvature and so on.…So, we can use a tool called insert edge loops.…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.