In Maya 2019, the Outliner is a hierarchical way to view and interact with objects and other scene assets. In this instructional video, George gives a tour of the Maya Outliner panel. He shows how to select and deselect objects using the mouse as well as how to refine the view using text-based wildcard searches.
- [Instructor] Now let's dig a little bit deeper…into organizing our scenes in Maya.…We're going to start with the Outliner,…which is probably one of the more important windows in Maya.…We can access the Outliner in one of two places.…We can go into Windows, Outliner,…and that floats a window that we can use.…Another way is to make it part of a viewport,…so what we can do is create a different layout…that has multiple viewports.…So I like this one here, which is side-by-side.…And then under any viewport…you can change what type of panel it is.…
So if we look under Panels, we can change it from,…say, a Perspective view to an Orthographic view,…but what we're looking for is the Panel menu,…and under that you should be able to find Outliner.…And when we do, it brings up an Outliner…as part of that viewport.…Now I'm going to work with a floating window,…so I'm going to go back to my single panel layout,…and then just go Windows, Outliner.…Now the Outliner window contains an entry…for every object in the scene.…
Now the easiest way to use the Outliner…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.