Learn about and become familiar with the additional material types provided by the Arnold renderer for Maya 2018. In this video, George goes over materials that will only work in the Arnold renderer for Maya. He demonstrates the Standard material in Arnold and shows you how to manage glossiness and reflectivity using this material.
- [Instructor] If you decide to render in Arnold,…it makes sense to use Arnold-specific materials.…Because those are designed for the renderer.…Now the basic maya materials will work with Arnold.…But, let's take a look at…how to use the aiStandard material,…which is the basic Arnold material.…Now we can change materials very easily in Maya,…by just selecting the objects,…and then just going in to the Attribute Editor.…Now, both of these objects here,…the cylinder and the sphere,…have a Lambert 2 material applied.…
But we can change that simply through this pull-down menu.…So if I wanted to, I could change it to a blend,…or a Phong, or really anything.…But the one I'm really looking for…is called aiStandardSurface.…And when I change that,…notice how that material changes.…Now we can also do this…by going into our Rendering menu set,…and under Lighting Shading,…we can do Assign New Material.…And then, we highlight Arnold,…and again, we have aiStandardSurface.…
So if I were to click that,…that will apply it as well.…Now probably the easiest way to…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.