Learn to combine basic materials to create advanced material networks and use mental ray subsurface scattering (SSS) materials in Maya.
- [Voiceover] Hi, my name's Andy Beane and welcome to this course about Advanced Materials in Maya. I'm going to go step by step through two different methods of creating and editing realistic advanced materials. The first method involves using multiple simple shaders to build the individual parts of an advanced material. The second method involves creating an all-in-one material that has all the individual layers merged into one. As we go through these materials and rendering methods, we'll weigh the pros and cons of each one. Ultimately, we will composite our rendered images in Adobe After Effects to finish our advanced material look.
We will be experimenting with the different settings in each of the material's attributes. I will explain how to set up and edit render layers in order to edit and finesse the final looks of your materials. Soon you should be ready to apply better advanced materials to your 3D models. I look forward to showing you these advanced methods for materials in Maya. So let's get started.
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.