Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Pros and cons of breaking into simple materials vs. a large shader network, part of Maya: Advanced Materials.
- Okay, so we've talked about telling an object's story…and where to find images for reference.…So you can thoroughly research…what you want your materials to look like.…Now, we need to develop a plan of attack.…How do we go about creating advanced materials?…Well, there are two methods for creating advanced materials.…One, use multiple simple materials,…and composite them back together…in compositing software like After Effects.…The use of simple materials is very easy.…You can use any material that your 3D application gives you,…like Blends, Lambert's and and Surface Materials.…
Most of those are very easy…and have very little learning curve on how to create them.…You'll render out each individual layer…of an advanced material, by itself…and then composite them back together using alpha mattes.…The second way is to create a large…complex material network that will have…all of the layers included into one single render.…Now, there are pros and cons to both of these methods.…The Simple Material Method pros,…It's easy to update in real time in your composite software…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.