Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Using wire deformers and clusters, and painting falloff values, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…Creating controlled modelling edits while maintaining symmetry can be challenging…especially with dense meshes, but minus clusters and wire deformers which…are useful rigging tools in their own right can also dramatically…simplify the process of creating morph targets and controlled modelling edits.…So a cluster is very much like the soft select tool except for it…gives us access to translation, rotation and…scale attributes for editing the cluster position.…To create a cluster we select the mesh, right click to return to Component Mode,…choose Vertex and then select the vertices that you'd like to effect.…
This can be done manually, but I usually like to grow the selection by holding down…the Shift+> or shrink the selection by holding down the Shift +<.…I usually try to select more vertices than I think…I'll need, and then I'll paint a soft fall-off selection afterwards.…To create the cluster, we'll go back to the animation module.…And choose Create Deformers Cluster.…You can see that the letter C, appears over the selected vertices.…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.