Join Mark Lefitz for an in-depth discussion in this video Using render layers, part of Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke.
Since we're going to be rendering output passes, like diffuse, specular, and…reflection, we need to create render layers to tell Maya that we want those…passes rendered exclusively for a specific set of geometry.…Each render layer can then be composited separately, giving you much more control…in your final composite.…If we go into our Perspective view, we can add geometry a couple different ways.…We can either select everything here in the viewport, or we can go to…Window > Outliner, and then we select the geometry, and then add the render layer that way.…
Let's do it in the viewport instead.…I am going to just select my geometry in here.…Then I am going to select this icon, which basically means we are going to add…the selected geometry to a new render layer.…Next, we are going to select the new render layer.…We are going to double-click, and inside we are going to give our render layer a name.…In this particular case, let's call it Car.…Let's switch back to our masterLayer.…Notice that we don't have our IBL icon attached to our new render layer.…
- Understanding image-based lighting
- Analyzing and color correcting the background plate
- Creating a 3D camera to match the plate
- Lighting with low-quality settings and proxies
- Setting light samples
- Setting up render passes
- Rendering mattes ground shadow, and occlusions passes
- Adding gamma correction in Nuke
- Adding the object to the plate and rendering the final composite
- Retouching the composite using Photoshop
Skill Level Intermediate
Lighting and Rendering with mental ray in Mayawith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
Creating Textures and Shaders in Mayawith Eric Keller3h 30m Intermediate
1. Image-Based Lighting
Correcting the HDRI5m 22s
2. Asset Integration
4. mental ray Rendering
5. Creating Secondary Passes
6. Compositing the Rendered Passes in Nuke
7. Final Touch-Ups in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.