Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Using layers to select characters, part of Character Animation: Maya.
- View Offline
There is another way to select objects within a character that doesn't involve…creating custom shelves and custom buttons, and that's to simply use layers.…So for example with this character we do have a custom button that allows us to…select everything, but if we want we can also use our layers option.…So we go into that by going into our Channel Box and then just pulling open our…Layers palette, and then if I want I can select any part of character just by…highlighting the layer and going Layer > Select Objects.…
So if I want to, I can select every object in the upper body or the lower body.…If you create a rig that has really good layering, this can be a good…alternative to using custom buttons.…Now the one thing about this is that the layers are pretty fixed. With a custom…shelf and a custom button you can select anything you want.…With layers, you're pretty much restricted to what's in that specific layer.…But if this is more comfortable for you, then go ahead and use this method.…
Prerequisite courses: Maya 2011 Essential Training.
- Using screen-drawing tools for Windows and Mac
- Quickly posing characters with custom MEL scripts and layers
- Understanding forces and their role in creating lifelike animation
- Sequencing and timing pose-to-pose animation
- Fine-tuning transitions
- Animating a character's gait and run
- Crafting realistic facial expressions
- Syncing speech to animated dialogue