This video covers how to download the software update and set up project folders.
- [Voiceover] Before we begin our adventure in Arnold rendering in Maya, I strongly recommend that you download and install the latest version of the Maya to Arnold plugin. There are some features of this course that rely upon the updated version of Arnold. To get that update, go to solidangle.com. And you'll need to register at that website, and then login. Once you've done that, then you can click on Arnold, at the top, and from there, navigate to the downloads page.
Click downloads, and now we've got the Arnold for Maya plugin, for Maya 2017. So download that, and install it. If you have access to the exercise files for the course, then download and extract them, place them in a convenient location, I've got them here on my desktop. Let's examine the contents of the exercise files. It's a Maya project, and inside the scenes folder are a bunch of Maya ASCII scenes. There's usually one Maya ASCII scene per movie in the course.
Sometimes there's a finished example and sometimes not. If there isn't a finished example for a particular movie, then the scene file corresponding to the next movie is the end state. For example, the scene file for 02_04 is the begin state for that movie, and it's also the ending state for the previous movie of 02_03. Additionally in the scenes folder, there is an xrefs folder.
These are a few geometric models that are used multiple times in the project. And to save disk space, I've referenced these into the master scenes. So we're not duplicating the same data, over and over again. Also, in the images folder, we have an examples folder, and these are some of the renderings from the course. Finally, in the sourceImages folder are all of the textures for the course, and usually you'll see two of them.
Arnold requires that all textures be converted to a .tx, and in most cases, I'm providing that .tx file for you. Those are the exercise files for the course. Let's briefly look at how to set up Maya projects. In Maya, let's go to the file menu, and choose Project Window. Our current project is the default one, inside the current users, documents, Maya projects. If you don't have the exercise files, you'll want to create a new project.
Click the New button, give it a name. We'll call it Arnold_Project. And change its location if you like. I'm just going to leave it at the default location. And click Accept. And now, if we go into the file menu, and open scene, we're taken to our new project. We'll cancel out of that. If you've got the exercise files, then you'll need to point Maya at that project. Go back to the file menu and choose Set Project, and then navigate, I've got the files on my desktop, so I'll choose desktop, and then select exercise files, and click Set.
Now, if we go into the menus and choose file, open scene, we're taken to the current project, which is the exercise files. And that's how to download the latest version of the Maya to Arnold plugin, and also how to set up Maya projects for the exercise files.
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Barndoor and Gobo
- Light attenuation with decay
- Image-based lighting with SkyDome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold standard material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering