Control your modeling process better by learning how to use Soft Selection and Symmetry from within Maya 2018. This video demonstrates how to use soft selection to select components with a user definable falloff as a way to organically reshape objects. We also look at reflection, which allows symmetrical modeling.
- [Instructor] Many times when we model,…we want to get organic deformations of our objects,…and so for this, we can use what are called Soft Select.…We may also need to model symmetrically,…and so Maya also has a number of symmetry tools.…So here I have a simple character head,…and let's say we wanted to model the nose…of that character.…Well I could zoom in here.…I could go into say Vertex mode…by right-clicking and going to that marking menu.…
And if I were to select some of these vertices,…and maybe select the move tool,…you could see that I could move these,…but it gets kind of crunchy or chunky,…and I'm really not getting the sort…of deformation that I want.…I want this to be a smoother, more organic deformation.…Well, Soft Select can come to the rescue for us.…So if I go into any of our tools here,…such as Select, Move, Rotate, or Scale,…and double-click on it,…we'll bring up our Tools settings.…
Now in the tool settings,…you should find a tab for Soft Select.…And this will allow me to gently fall off my selection,…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.