Control your modeling process better by learning how to use Soft Select and Symmetry from within Maya 2019. This video demonstrates how to use soft selection to select components with a user-definable falloff as a way to organically reshape objects. We also look at reflection, which allows symmetrical modeling.
- [Instructor] Many times when we model,…we want to get organic deformations of our objects.…And so for this, we can use what are called Soft Select.…We also may need to model symmetrically…and so Maya also has a number of Symmetry tools.…So here I have a simple character head…and let's say we wanted to model the nose of that character.…Well, I could zoom in here, I could go into, say,…Vertex mode by right-clicking…and going to that marking menu.…
And if I were to select some of these vertices…and maybe select the Move Tool, you could see…that I can move these, but it gets kind of crunchy…or chunky and I'm really not getting…the sort of deformation that I want.…I want this to be a smoother, more organic deformation.…Well, Soft Select can come to the rescue for us.…So, if I go into any of our tools here,…such as, Select, Move, Rotate or Scale…and double-click on it, we'll bring up our Tool Settings.…
Now in the Tool Settings you should find a tab…for Soft Select and this will allow me…to gently Falloff my selection, to get a more organic feel.…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.