Join Eric Keller for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Maya's standard shaders with mental ray , part of Creating Textures and Shaders in Maya.
The mental ray render is integrated as a plug-in into Maya, but you can still…use standard Maya shaders when rendering scenes with mental ray.…So for example, in this scene I have a number of teapots and each one has a…different Maya shader applied to it.…I'll take a brief look at how some of these shaders work.…Here's the scene right here. On this teapot in the far left I have a…Lambert shader applied.…Lambert shader is good for diffuse surfaces.…So when light hits the surface it's reflected in all directions, creating kind of…a matte like quality to the render.…
So you look at the render right here.…This is what Lambert shader looks like.…So there's no reflection or specular highlight on Lambert shaders.…It's just essentially a diffuse control.…So I can control the intensity of the diffuse reflections using the Diffuse slider.…I'm just moving this up and down and you can see how the surface becomes lighter or darker.…Next to this teapot I have a teapot with Blinn shader applied.…Blinn shader is one of the most commonly used shaders and you can use it with mental ray.…
- Understanding shading concepts
- Simulating the Fresnel effect for realistic reflections
- Rendering transparent and translucent surfaces
- Comparing mental ray and Maya standard shaders
- Introducing the mia_material
- Developing shader networks
- Using subsurface scattering shaders
- Mapping polygon UV coordinates
- Incorporating texture nodes into networks
- Improving skin detail with ambient occlusion
- Painting bump maps
- Creating normal and displacement maps
- Troubleshooting maps
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Ninness11h 15m Beginner
Creating Natural Environments in Mayawith Aaron F. Ross4h 18m Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Shading Concepts
2. Shading in mental ray
4. mental ray Texture Nodes
5. Creating Surface Details with Textures
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.