Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Use overrides in Render Setup, part of Maya 2018 Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Maya's Render Setup will allow you…to change just about any attribute in the scene…on a layer by layer basis,…and this is done using what are called Overrides.…So let's use render layers to change the lighting…in this scene.…So, I have this scene here, I'm going to jump out…to my 4-view, and let's go ahead…and turn everything off so we can kind of see…our rendered view,…and I'm going to launch my Render Setup window.…
Now what I'm going to do is create a layer…that has nighttime lighting for this scene,…and so we'll be able to switch between day and night,…just by switching layers.…So the first thing I have to do is create a layer,…and I'm going to give this layer a descriptive name.…Let's just call this Night Lighting.…In order for this to work,…we do need to create a collection.…So this Night Lighting layer is empty,…so I'm going to right-click and let's Create a Collection.…
So the first Collection is just going to be…for the objects in the scene.…So I'm going to go into my Outliner here,…and let's just select all of the objects.…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/15/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Quad Draw, UV mapping complex objects, overrides in Render Setup, working with the Time Editor, and creating animation clips.
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.