Understand and learn how to turn polygonal objects into lights with Arnold for Maya 2019. In this video, George takes a simple polygonal object and turns it into a light source, then adjusts the light to match the scene.
- [Instructor] Another interesting way to create…lights in Arnold is to use an object as a light.…And this is a great way to create lights…that have custom shapes, or to do…such effects as neon.…So here I have a simple Taurus in my scene,…and let's go ahead and turn that into a light.…So if we go into our Arnold menu,…under lights we have what's called mesh light.…Now I do need to have the mesh selected…when I select this menu option.…So when I do, it goes ahead and kind…of makes the object disappear.…
So we don't see the actual geometry…of the object anymore.…And if we go into the attribute editor,…you'll see that things have changed…quite a bit.…Under the shape node, we have all…of our light attributes.…So it doesn't show up as a official light…in the scene, it's actually part of the geometry.…But we can change geometry into a light…by going into that shape node.…So let's take a look at how this is rendering.…I'm going to position my camera here,…make sure I can see that light,…and let's go into Arnold render view.…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.