In this video, George shows how to use Maya’s new Curve Warp deformer. This new modeling and animation tool allows you to quickly connect a mesh to a curve to drive a variety of deformation effects. The new deformer is similar to Maya’s motion paths but offers greater customization with a more streamlined workflow.
- [Voiceover] Another new feature…that can be used either as a modeling or a rigging tool,…is called the curve warp tool.…And this allows you to use a curve to warp geometry…to match the curve.…So here I have a simple situation…where I have a curve and some text.…So what I need to do is select the geometry first…and the curve second.…So I'm gonna go and select the text,…shift-select the curve, so that it's selected last,…and then under Deform, I'm going to find Curve Warp.…
Now, when I do that,…it warps that text, or the geometry, to that curve.…And then if I go into my Attribute Editor,…you'll see I have a curve warp node,…and we have a number of different options for this.…So let's go ahead and take a look at these.…So the first one is envelope.…How close to that curve are we.…So if you want to animate that into that curve,…you can do that by animating the envelope.…And then we also have an offset,…so how much from the beginning to the end of that curve…do we want to go.…
And do we want to keep the length of the original object,…
- Finding the new features
- Using the Content Browser
- Working with symmetry and Mirror tool improvements
- Using the MASH networks
- Rigging a character with Quick Rig
- Animating with the Pose Editor
- Lighting with the Light Editor
- Rendering Render Setup layers
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
1. Interface and Display
2. What's New in Modeling
3. Work with MASH
4. Animation and Rigging Tools
5. Lighting and Rendering Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.