Become familiar with the NURBS Extrude tool in Maya 2018. In this how-to video, George demonstrates how to extrude a profile curve along a path curve in Maya, showing the proper order for selecting the underlying component curves. He then shows you how to align and manipulate the resulting NURBS surface.
- [Instructor] Another way to create surfaces from curves…is to use an extrude.…Now an extrude uses two types of curves…to create its surface.…The first is an outline, and that's a shape.…And then that shape is run along a second curve…called a path.…Now, in this file here I have a very simple path here.…And that's this little arc.…And then I have my shape, which is…just a nurbs circle.…Now in order to create…an extrusion…we have to select…that path last.…
So I'm going to go ahead and select my shape first.…And then shift select my path.…And that should highlight in green…which tells me it's selected last.…Now, all we have to do is under surfaces…go ahead and do extrude.…Now let's take a look at some of the options here.…The first is, what style do we want.…Typically, you want two.…You want your result position at the profile…which is here, or at the path.…And then where do you want your pivot point…as well as your direction.…
And just like with other tools…you can output to either nurbs, polygons,…or (mumbling)…Now I'm going to go ahead and just…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor George Maestri show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/15/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Quad Draw, UV mapping complex objects, overrides in Render Setup, working with the Time Editor, and creating animation clips.
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.