The Modeling Toolkit is another way to select and use the various modeling tools within Maya 2018. In this instructional video, George gives an overview of the toolkit and the interface. He demonstrates how to use the toolkit to more efficiently model objects within Maya, and shows ways to use the toolkit effectively.
- [Instructor] Once you become familiar with modeling…you may want to start using the modeling tool kit.…Now you can find that along the status line…right here.…And that brings up this interface.…Now, this tool kit has a lot of the same features…that you'll find under the menus.…It just makes it easier to access.…So, we can go from…object mode.…To…vertex mode here.…
Edge mode.…To…face mode.…So I have a number of different modes…that I can go into.…I can also go into the UV mode…which we haven't gotten to, but we will.…We can also…pick marquee.…We can drag…so I can actually select…different types of vertices here, or edges.…We can also turn on or off symmetries.…So if I want to, I can turn on object…symmetry.…
We can also manage soft selection, so if I want to,…I could turn off soft selection.…Or turn it on.…And then we have a number of really nice tools here.…We have combine and separate.…Which are two of our main mesh tools.…We also have boolians.…We also have smooth, which allows you to smooth the mesh.…We have options for our components,…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor George Maestri show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/15/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Quad Draw, UV mapping complex objects, overrides in Render Setup, working with the Time Editor, and creating animation clips.
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.