Become familiar with the Extrude tool in Maya 2018. In this instructional video, George demonstrates how to use it on a polygonal model. He extrudes a simple face, the uses the tool to add detail and modify the shape of the extruded geometry. He then shows how to extrude other types of components.
- [Instructor] Another way to add detail to your polygonal…models is to use extrude.…Now extrude is typically used on faces,…but it can also be used on edges and vertices.…Let's take a look at how to extrude some faces and then…we'll move on to edges and vertices.…Now, here I have my model and as you can see I've added…some extra detail here.…Let's go ahead and turn off the reference layer,…so we can see this a little bit better.…
Now, in this model,…we want this arm to be a little bit higher.…Now, we could certainly do that by moving vertices and…inserting edge loop, but let's go ahead…and use extrude to do that.…We use extrude by selecting a component…and then extruding it.…I'm going to right click and this time we're going to go…into face mode, so I'm going to go ahead and select or…shift select…all of these faces here, so basically…everything along the top of the arm of that chair.…
Then under edit mesh, we have an extrude command.…Now, the hotkey for that…is Control E.…When we do that notice how it brings up this additional…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor George Maestri show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/15/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Quad Draw, UV mapping complex objects, overrides in Render Setup, working with the Time Editor, and creating animation clips.
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.