Learn and understand how to use the Maya Edge Flow tool. In this video, George demonstrates how Edge Flow allows you to take an edge that you've either inserted or created and match it to the curvature of a polygonal model. George shows how to manage curvatures and maintain proper smoothness of the model.
- [Instructor] When you start refining your model,…there may be times when you'll need to insert or create…an edge loop to match the curvature of the existing model.…Now we have a tool that helps with that,…and it's called edge flow.…Now here I have an arm, and we're going to use this…as an example a little bit later,…so I'm going to go ahead and hide that by hitting control h.…Now let's go ahead and create a very simple object.…So I'm going to go ahead and create a polygonal torus.…
So go ahead and drag this out, and then I'm going to over…into my attribute editor, and let's go ahead…and dial down our subdivisions axis to say 10.…And I wanted to get this kind of chunky.…In fact, let's go ahead and bring it down to eight.…So, what edge flow does is it allows you to control…how an edge blends in with its adjacent edges.…
So let's take a look at how this works,…it's probably best just to show you.…So I'm going to select this edge loop.…So I'm going to go ahead and double click on that,…and then under edit mesh, under edge we have edit edge flow,…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.