Learn and understand how to use Maya’s Edge Flow tool. In this video, George demonstrates how Edge Flow allows you to take an edge that you've either inserted or created and match it to the curvature of a polygonal model. George shows how to manage curvatures and maintain proper smoothness of the model.
- [Voiceover] When you start refining your models,…there may be times when you'll need to…insert or create an edge loop…and match the curvature of that to the existing model.…Now we have a tool that helps with that…and it's called Edge Flow.…So here I have an arm and we're gonna be working with this…just in a bit but let's go ahead and hide this.…I'm gonna go into my Layers menu…and just hit Visibility Off…and let's go ahead and just create an object…so I can show you this on a very simple level.…So I'm gonna go into Polygons…and we're gonna create a torus…and I'm actually gonna go into my Channel box here…and let's just dial down our subdivisions…to about ten or twelve.…
Let's do twelve.…So now I have this model here.…So if I want I can use Edge Flow to take an edge loop…or a couple of edges and match them…to the curvature of their adjoining edges.…So if I right click above this,…go into Edge, double click on this edge loop,…I can change how the curvature is…along here using Edge Flow.…So if we go into Edit Mesh, Edit Edge Flow,…
It starts with the basics of selecting and manipulating objects and organizing scenes, as you learn the interface and explore Maya's features. Author George Maestri then takes you through polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and NURBS modeling. Once you understand modeling, George will show how to create and apply materials to surfaces—adding color, texture, and reflectivity. He'll then integrate cameras, lighting, and depth-of-field effects into the rendering process, using the built-in software renderer, mental ray, and the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, he'll show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal objects
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Projecting curves on surfaces
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Adding depth of field and motion blur
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Modeling a Cartoon Character in Mayawith George Maestri3h 6m Intermediate
Rigging Mechanical Objects in Mayawith George Maestri1h 27m Intermediate
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. Sculpt Meshes
Sculpt a basic landscape4m 51s
8. NURBS Modeling Techniques
9. Refine NURBS Models
10. Create Materials
11. Apply Materials and Textures
12. Render in Maya
13. Animate in Maya
14. Render in Arnold
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.