- Using the command line and the Script Editor
- Grabbing Script Editor output
- Creating, loading, and saving buttons
- Working with variables and arrays
- Using conditionals
- Performing calculations with the math, trig, and time functions
- Creating and testing a user interface
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm George Maestri and welcome to Up and Running with MEL Scripting in Maya. In this short course, we're gonna give you just the basics you need to understand MEL Scripting. We're gonna start off with a tour of the script editor and we're gonna learn how to capture Maya's own output and to input that into shelf buttons to create your own functions. Then we're gonna dig a little bit deeper into script writing. We're gonna learn the syntax of MEL, as well as the basic types of variables and arrays.
Then we're gonna use that knowledge to create a staircase generator. We're going to create the steps, as well as use a little bit of math to create the railings and balusters. After that we're gonna learn how to create custom interfaces in Maya, complete with sliders and buttons. So without further ado, let's get started with Up and Running with MEL Scripting in Maya.