One of the best skills to have aside from being a good modeler for games is…being a good texture painter, and part of that is being able to paint things from scratch.…What I generally assume is that if it's out on the Internet, and I have got it,…everybody else has it.…Therefore, if I find a texture I like, guaranteed somebody's already using it.…So in this chapter, I'm going to show how to paint wood grain from scratch.…The other reason to paint it is that we may need a far larger sample than we…can find a picture of.…As an example, I need 6-foot boards for this table.…
Many of the textures out there are, well, actually fairly small.…Here is a couch, and we can see we need pretty good variation in the wood grain…along it and probably a pretty long piece.…However, when I go and look at wood samples I have downloaded online, this one…might be a foot and half square of that big.…This one is only a few inches on a side as it's a different species.…These boards might be 4 inches, maybe 5 across, but really not very big,…
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.