In this chapter I'll look at a workflow going between high poly and low poly in Maya.…What we see a lot of times is we need a good low poly foundation, and then we'll…make a high-poly version, beveling and extruding additional detail into a model,…and then, finally, baking out or rendering from high poly to low poly in a…Projection to produce a normal map, which makes the low poly look like it's got a…lot of extra detail.…These are fairly low-poly models. As an example, on this table I've modeled…out the planks, and my poly count is really not bad because all the edges are straight.…
What I have done to add variation is instead to disturb the silhouette by…pulling the edges back and forth.…To test this and really see what the poly count is doing. I'll choose Display >…Heads Up Display > Poly Count.…In here I'll select my table, this whole table comes in at 112 faces. The whole…scene is 862, which for this much furniture is really not bad.…We can view this and either faces or tris and even at 224 tris for this table…
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.