Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding image-based lighting, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…Image based lighting or IBL is a technique for lighting…a 3D scene using a special type of image file.…This is known as a high dynamic range or HDR file.…Instead of conventional 3D lights the scene is illuminated…by the brightness of pixels in an environment map.…The image is usually captured from a…real-world location, and because of this, the 3D…rendered objects can be made to look as if they're actually in that real environment.…Image-based lighting requires that the environment map have a…greater range of brightness values than a standard image.…A high dynamic range image can capture all the…possible brightness values that the human eye can see.…
The dynamic range of a signal is the ratio between its highest and lowest values.…And for light it's also expressed as contrast ratio.…The human eye has a contrast ratio of about a million to one.…But a standard camera or an ordinary image file…has a contrast ratio of about a thousand to one.…Contrast ratio can also be expressed in terms of F-stops.…The F number is a setting on a real camera…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.