Learn about the controls used in animation playback and editing in Maya 2018. In this video, George presents an overview of the Maya animation interface. He demonstrates the timeline and playback controls, as well as how to adjust the frames being played and attributes such as frame rate and time code.
- [Instructor] Now let's do some animation in Maya.…We're going to start off by taking a look…at the animation interface.…The animation interface is centered around the timeline,…which is typically at the bottom of the screen.…We have this Time Slider here, and if we left click…and drag, we can drag through our animation.…If we want to, we can also play back that animation.…We have all of our Playback controls here,…on the bottom right.…We can play forwards.…
We can play backwards.…We can also step through one key at a time.…If I select this object, you'll see that on the timeline,…we have these little red ticks, and those represent keys.…Those are places where we've animated the object.…If we step through a key at a time, we can do that.…We can also step through a frame at a time.…We can also jump to the beginning…or the end of the animation.…The timeline itself is a little bit flexible,…so we have along the bottom, what's called the Range Slider.…
If you notice, we have two sets of numbers.…One set of numbers on the outside and one on the inside.…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.