Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding Quad Draw, part of Maya 2018 Essential Training.
- [Narrator] Another really nice modeling tool…is new to Maya 2018,…and that is called Quad Draw.…It allows you to actually draw new geometry on the surface…of an existing object.…So here we have a character's head.…And if I click on it,…you'll see that the geometry is pretty dense.…Now we can use Quad Draw to simplify this geometry…or draw new detail that can merge with the geometry.…We do this by making that surface live.…So let me show you the process,…and then we'll do some Quad Draw.…
So before I actually turn this live,…I want to turn on shading and let's go ahead and turn on…wire frame unshaded.…I want to see the detail of this as I work.…And then we can select the surface,…and we can select this little magnet icon here,…and that makes the selected object live.…Now when we press this,…notice how the color changes to a darker green.…And now we can draw directly on the surface…and everything will snap.…Now, we're going to draw using Quad Draw.…
So, I'm going to move this over a little bit…and under mesh tools you'll see we have Quad Draw.…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor George Maestri show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/15/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Quad Draw, UV mapping complex objects, overrides in Render Setup, working with the Time Editor, and creating animation clips.
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.