Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the Film Back, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…Maya's camera really is the gold standard for 3D computer graphics.…And it has many features, some of which you may never use.…However, all the power that you could possibly want is there.…For new users to Maya, sometimes some of the…features of the Maya camera can be a bit perplexing.…Specifically, something called the film back.…We need to take a look at this, so you'll understand how it works and…avoid any possible issues in the future.…The film back in Maya is designed to act just like a real…camera, so it's optically identical to the way that a real camera works.…With the exception that the lens is not spherical.…But, that's something that we don't want to get into too deeply here.…But the crop factor for the Maya camera will obey the…laws of physics according to the way a real camera works.…So let's take…a look at it.…I've created this little mock-up here in which what we see is just…a diagram illustrating the way that an interior part of the camera works.…This is the lens and then this is the sensor or the film.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.