Learn about methods used to trim NURBS surfaces in Maya 2019. In this video, George takes a curve that has been created on a NURBS surface and uses it to trim away part of the surface. He discusses how this is similar to the Make Planar tool. He also shows how to manage which parts of the surface are trimmed and which remain intact.
- [Instructor] Now curves-on-surface…can be used to build other surfaces.…They can also be used to do what's called…trimming NURBS surfaces.…Now this is a way to take a NURBS surface…and trim away part of that surface.…So, the Trim tool typically works with a curve-on-surface.…So let's go ahead to this stovepipe,…and previously, I projected this curve onto that surface,…and as you can see, we have two curves here.…
So if we select this and go into Surfaces, Trim Tool,…notice how my icon changes.…So let's say I wanted to create a hole…in the front of this fireplace flue.…So what I want to do is I want to go ahead and click…and select those objects I want to keep.…So I'm going to go ahead and click on this one and this one,…that one I'm not going to.…And when we hit Enter, what happens is that…it trims away anything that's not selected,…so now, I have a very nice hole in that fireplace.…
And this is great if I want to, say, route it…into another tube or something like that.…And in fact, if we want, we could do that…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.