Learn about methods used to trim NURBS surfaces in Maya 2018. In this video, George takes a curve that has been created on a NURBS surface and uses it to trim away part of the surface, and he discusses how this is similar to the Make Planar tool. He also shows you how to manage which parts of the surface are trimmed, and which remain intact.
- [Narrator] Now curves on surface can be used…to build other surfaces.…They can also be used to do what's called…trimming NURBS surfaces.…Now this is a way to take a NURBS surface…and trim away part of that surface.…So, the trim tool typically works…with a curve on surface.…So, let's go ahead to this stovepipe.…And previously, I projected this curve onto that surface.…And as you can see, we have two curves here.…
So, if we select this and go into Surfaces, Trim Tool,…notice how my icon changes.…So let's say I wanted to create a hole…in the front of this fireplace flue.…So what I want to do is I want to go ahead…and click and select those objects I want to keep.…So I'm going to go ahead and click on this one and this one.…That one, I'm not going to.…And when we hit Enter, what happens is that it trims away…anything that's not selected.…
So now I have a very nice hole…in that fireplace.…And this is great if I want to, say,…route it into another tube or something like that.…And in fact, if we want, we could do that…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.