Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up the matte material render layer, part of Maya: Advanced Materials.
- Now we get to get into the fun part…of the Subsurface Scattering material.…I'm here in Exercise File 03_04_Start,…and we have a texture file…on the Diffuse Color and the Weight is set to two…on our grape material.…I'm going to actually set the Diffuse Weight back to zero…so that we can isolate each area…of the Subsurface Scattering layers.…But I need to make a note to myself…to remember that, hey, you probably want to set this…back to 0.2, and there are a lot of layers in here…that we're going to be turning on and off.…So before I do that, in the actual material itself…in the Attribute Editor, you'll notice…there's a Notes field.…
And we can actually put a little note to ourself…that will save itself within the file.…So let's say Diffuse Weight…equals 0.2,…and then we can come up and change…our Diffuse Weight back to zero.…And know that we can come back to this…and refer to it when we need it.…Let's minimize the Diffuse Layer…and open up the Subsurface Scattering Layer.…We're going to be working on the…Epidermal Scatter Layer first.…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.