Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Subsurface scattering: Back scatter, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- The last light scatter layer of…the sub-surface scattering material,…is back scatter.…Back scatter is what controls the way…the material handles light…that comes from behind the object like in…our picture here of the rabbit with the large ears.…You can see with the sun behind the rabbit…light easily passes through the thin skin of his ears,…but in the thicker parts of his ears…the skin does not seem to glow.…This is due to the light absorption.…Let's see how we control this in the…sub-surface scattering material for our grape.…I'm here in exercise file 03_06_start.…
Let's begin by typing in the values…of the sub-dermal scatter wave for us to use later.…We'll go back down into our notes…and right subD weight = 1,…and we can now go to this sub-dermal scatter weight…and turn that back to zero.…We set this value to zero so that…we can isolate our back scatter only.…Let's turn our back scatter weight on to one…and one other thing that we need to do…in this particular scene is change the angle…of our light so that we can dictate what's going on.…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.