Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Specularity, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- The last part of our grape material we need to cover…is how are the highlights going to influence…the outer surface of our grapes?…You can see that grapes have different specular highlights.…Some are sharp and shiny, like these two,…some have larger highlights that are glossy,…and some have both glossy and shiny highlights.…The MISS fast skin Maya material…does allow for two different types…of specular highlights within a single shader.…Now, I'm not going to lie, these highlights…are not great on their own in this shader.…
A lot of 3D artists I know will use other shaders…for their specular highlights and render them…in a separate render pass and composite them…back together on top of their subsurface scattering shader.…But I do want to show you how these work within this shader.…I'm here in exercise file 03_07_Start,…and we will make a quick note of the backscatter weight…and turn that to zero so again…we can isolate what layer we are working on.…We'll select our shader, go down…into the notes, and type in…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.