Take a look at ways to precisely place objects within Maya 2019 using the snapping tools. In this instructional video, George shows how to accurately and precisely place objects by snapping them to grids. He also talks about other ways to snap objects, such as snapping to a curve and snapping to a surface.
- [Instructor] Another way to move objects precisely…is to use snapping.…Now this will allow you to snap an object's pivot point…to a grid or another object in the scene.…So, here we have a simple scene and let's go ahead…and just move this TV stand.…So if I were to move this, I can basically move it…anywhere I want very freely.…Now if we want to precisely position this we can,…for example, snap to the grids in the scene.…
So we can do this by pressing this little button here,…and that is snap to grid.…Now notice how that looks like a little magnet…next to a grid.…Now when I toggle this on and off notice how my…center of this icon changes from a square to a circle.…When it's a circle…that means it's in some sort of snap mode.…So, now it will only snap to grid points.…So, I can move this very precisely along the grid.…
So the pivot of this object is snapping to a grid.…If I were to select the TV set and move that, again, it will…snap it's pivot to one of these intersections in the grid.…Now another way to do this is to snap to the grids…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.