Learn about the processes involved in smoothing models and managing detail in Maya 2018. This instructional video takes a look at the smooth command and other tools used to manage detail in complex polygonal models. Learn how more smoothing adds detail and makes a model heavier, creating the need to manage the amount of detail in a model.
- [Narrator] When we model, we typically start…with a low amount of detail and then start adding detail…to create the shape.…Now, there are many times when you want an object…to be smooth and organic.…And so, Maya has a smooth command…that can do just that.…Now, I'm going to go ahead and just select…the cushion of this chair.…And if you take a look at it,…you'll see that it has pretty square edges.…
Now if we want, we can smooth that out…by adding more detail and reshaping this.…But we also have a generic smooth command.…We can find this under Mesh, Smooth.…And let's take a look at the options for that.…Probably the most important one…is the number of division levels.…And that will determine the level of subdivisions…that this uses.…Now, by that I mean that this will actually add…a lot more detail to this and smooth it.…
So let's just go ahead and use the defaults and smooth.…Now, this number of divisions comes up…as the main parameter here.…And notice how we already have…a smoothing of these corners.…So if I take this and I bring it to zero,…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.