Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Shading white cards, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…We've done enough work on our materials that we can fine tune the lighting.…Part of that process is to set up our white cards.…Remember, we created these planes and constrained them to the area lights.…And the reason for that is so we can have separate…control over the reflections and the…specular highlights coming from these lights.…Remember we discussed this in the lighting chapter.…You can make the area lights visible, but if…you do that what's going to happen is the…reflection component from the area lights is going to…override the specular component and that's not a good outcome.…
We need them both and we need them to add together.…To accomplish this, I've created a white card which will produce reflections.…And I have not enabled visibility on the area lights…and the area lights will only produce the specular highlights.…Okay, so to make this work we need highly self illuminated material…on the white cards, and so there will be a very clear demonstration.…We want to do a rendering with the lights turned off.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.